The Business Doctor

'eradicating the Mad Management Virus'

Saturday 5 June 2010

Its been a Good Year... I Think!


Its that time of year when I begin looking back at my achievements, and despite the lack of support, constant battles with ‘bureaucrats’, half-wits, and Managers ;-), its been a pretty good year.
Three major organisations changed successfully, and are now sustainable without ‘management’ damaging the democracy and passion of the frontline service producers. 
I have witnessed productivity improvements of 300% in one, savings in the region of £400k in another; sickness decreases by 10% and above all happy people going to work. This is not to say the saving of one manufacturer from disappearing. So all in all a good academic year!
So why do I feel sad! Is it that not all this change, whilst proved is happening quickly enough? Is that despite working 14 hour days (not that I’m complaining) my organization fails to understand what I do or what I stand for? Alternatively, is it that I am just ‘bloody fed up’ and that’s life?
I do know that in 2009, we saw the sad management trait of making people redundant and this has continued into 2010. However, one company Air New Zealand, announced it would “disestablish up to 100 long-haul cabin crew positions”, awww that’s so much better I’m sure for the poor old cabin crew than being made redundant, especially when their managers, CEO everywhere received even great pay awards throughout 2009/10, most greater than third world debt!
I’m not bitter, honest, but quite recently our new ‘Blunt’ Minister Leighton Andrews, brought home what I think I knew but was too frightened to say. Universities in Wales are, well, poorly led…. There I’ve said it….and what a surprise I am still alive, not struck down in a bolt of lightening…well not yet anyhow.
Speaking at Cardiff University, he saw “too much institutional behaviour and not enough leadership”, note here he never mentioned the word ‘Management’…but he goes on to say that 52% of funding goes on support administration and ‘managers’ salary. In my world, I’ve seen that increase to 60% of costs, and yet Lecturers, Researchers and Research Units are being Indeed “disestablished” without any thought to the real costs and consequences. Yet, one VC shouted that her/his salary was not that large compared to industry. Indeed CEO’s of large companies would think VC’s salaries to be peanuts. Yet, when you think that Universities are public sector, small by comparison and with less financial risk, their salaries seem rather large, or is that just me! However, this is not the point. “There are times when there is a need to dig deep and find another gear – while never losing sight of the bigger picture.” This three-way mixed management metaphor so confuses me, I’m saying it here to avoid saying anything just incase…
I have also been at hundreds of speaker events, business networks and after dinner talks all for the glory of my wonderfully led Business School and I met one person who placed on her business card: “Life Coach,  Storyteller, Experience Architect, Thought Creator.” Just 2 years ago she would not have been able to get away with this, even as a Consultant, yet something tells me she will be busy in 2011 and retired rich in 2012! Oh dear perhaps that’s it, my values just don’t get me noticed, or rich!! Nope, I don’t think this is it…..
I do know one most irritating thing this year is this growing sign-off’s on e-mails with, “Hope that helps”, to HTH, a nasty little abbreviation, and “bw” for Best Wishes, against which “rgds” starts to look merciful. Yes it that’s it, the text world seeping into our academic and business standards, well that could partly be it…LOL! Or lmao….
Finally the elephant in the room for me, (In newspapers and journals alone, last year 3,700 elephants were reported as being in rooms) as an academic pushing the envelope, getting people to think outside the box and thought shower is can I survive being disestablished. Simply because 60% of my job should be management and administration, not putting academia firmly into helping the economy? 
Here's to another year as a 'Life Coaching, Storytelling, Thought Creator'.......lol ;-) 

2 comments:

  1. Thank You Paul for your honesty as always. Reading your end of year reflections leaves me with a sense of delight, humour & real sadness.
    Your ideas, views, thoughts & action are crucial if our Economy is to recover from the excesses of the past Decade. Most saddening in your
    blog is your feeling that those who lead have no concept of what you are about & what you stand for? Central to this is the understanding of your
    Core values & how they drive you in your work & passionate efforts to make some improvements in many aspects of life itself.
    To identify, appreciate & understand You & Your Special Qualities & Values requires like minded Special People. It is Very difficult for small minded and negative people to locate & acknowlege such positive Qualities in another person especially someone they are threatened by & are jealous of. Regardless of how undervalued you may be feeling, please rest, relax & re-energise yourself as you have made a massive impact into the lives of many who deeply wish for you to succeed at all costs. The stakes are high.
    The World is in an unparalleled state of crisis in terms of Leadership/Economically/Morally/Financially/Environmentally all largely achieved by
    the successes of Human Greed & Corruption! We desperately need people like you who are prepared to push back boundaries & limitations
    to Thought & Action in order to begin the work of repair which will take Decades.
    Paul Thomas - You offer Hope to Mankind & you are much needed!
    Fanciful Words? You Bet! Please disregard the Doubters & the Naysayers they will always have someone to knock & criticise just leave them to it AND Do the hardest thing possible for You - Just be Yourself, Believe in Yourself & Move into Unchartered Territory whenever you are ready - theres enough of us there for you!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Phil, I think you should become my PR person! All jokes aside, thank you.
    Paul

    ReplyDelete