The Business Doctor

'eradicating the Mad Management Virus'

Monday 4 January 2010

Half tidy feedback from the 2009 ISRM Conference!




In my travels, trials and presentations during 2009 I was invited to be a guest speaker at the annual Institute of Sport and Recreation Management Conference in November.  An organisation and indeed an industry very close to my heart, as I previously worked in sports and leisure management, am a self-confessed fitness freak and passionately believe in the importance of sport in our culture, at every level.
A two day event, the line-up of speakers was varied, the venue was inviting, Alton Towers! And the hunger amongst the attendees was for a wide range of topics and hard-hitting advice.  There was also, dare I say it a lot of 'networking' going on! An overused and abused term these days, we used to call it talking, and we used to have conversations that didn't always need a goal or objective or outcome in mind!  Anyway...... I am sure real conversations happened.....but I digress
Following a packed and eventful 2009, where I was asked to speak, appear and/or facilitate at large corporations, organisations and events, from the NHS to a small family run department store, from Blaenau Gwent County Borough Council, to an ailing knicker factory, it was pleasing to receive open praise from the attendees at my last public appearance of the year.
Thank you to the ISRM Conference for staging such a successful event, and thanks to the attendees who said such nice things!....... I couldn't resist including a couple below....I'm only human!...


"The conference’s best speaker (Paul Thomas).....  Thomas gave an engaging, refreshing, inspirational talk – galvanising the mind and the audience"


"Could have listened to Paul Thomas all morning."


"Dr Paul Thomas was an excellent speaker who was also very entertaining! His topic and ideas gave food for thought and made the individual think about their own methods of management."


Some videos and posts on the 'Mad Management Virus' will be appearing here very very soon!


2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes the ISRM Conference was quite enjoyable. It was also the last one for retiring CE Ralph Riley. I have so say whilst I dislike most CE positions, Ralph is quite the exception. Having led from the front, through strong values and direction the ISRM which I have known for years has gone from strength to strength in the last 30 years. A true professional.

    ReplyDelete